Nankang Roadiac – my new partner on the road

I was conscious of not getting carried away after finally changing the stock tire of my 2014 Kawasaki ER-6N with a Nankang Roadiac pair, both carrying an OEM size of 120/60x17F and 160/60x17R.

null

Right after having the pair installed at Motomarket Libis, I then proceeded to exit thru E. Rodriguez and gradually built up speed on the 650 and I just felt the center part of the bike generates more power against the surface of the road. Make no mistake about it, the ER6N is a powerful bike but I have tested its OEM tires for quite some time so I know the feeling and what kind of reaction I would get from the bike with every twist of the throttle so I was surprised of the power delivery from the engine to the rear tire.

The design of the front tire pattern is to intensify the performance when it comes to cornering and handling. The groove at the center of the front tire was nicely designed to drain the water out during those wet rides while at the same time serving a purpose of trying to prevent hydroplaning. The rear tire meanwhile is designed more on stability and endurance. So what I’m trying to say is that it serves a double purpose…and this is where the Nankang Roadiac excels. It could be both your daily commuter and for your long distance touring. There are actually two different rear tire compounds fitted in one. 20% is the middle contact patch and is made up of harder rubber to prolong the longevity of the tire while the other 80%, or 40% on both sides, is made up of much softer rubber for better grip and handling. Designed for longer wear and better traction, this pair is truly a nifty innovation, benefitting consumers like me.

Being a long distance motorcycle traveller promoting motorcycle tourism all over the Philippines, the real test for a touring tire such as the Nankang Roadiac is to take it out not just on the busy city streets of Quezon City but to at least an Epic Ride covering at least 3 days. This will not only help me gain more confidence with my bike’s new tires but also test its durability after continuous use, not to mention seeing if it could handle different road conditions – and not just paved, straight roads. So the next day, I immediately brought my bike on an extended birthday trip to Talisay, Batangas. Actually, there is an easier route if I were to take the SLEX then the connector towards STAR Tollway exiting at Malvar, but I opted to take the longer and more challenging route via Tagaytay-Talisay. Coming from the Tagaytay rotunda, you would need to take a right turn right before reaching Picnic Grove. Don’t worry there is a big Talisay marker so you won’t miss it. This will take you to one of the most winding downhill routes you will ever experience, but the reward is big as the beautiful scenery of the Taal Lake will leave you breathless. I took the Tagaytay route which passed through the popular Talisay twisties. Unlike in Marilaque wherein the curves only go left to right and right to left, here the winding roads are combined with steep uphill and downhill riding making it all the more difficult and this is where I initially tested the newly fitted Nankang Roadiac tires which are distributed by Motoworld. It passed my high standards, and not only did it meet my expectations, it exceeded it.

These are awesome tires, considering I have both the front and rear set. I can only imagine how long it will last considering that the middle part of the rear tire was designed for longer mileage due to its harder compound. They both have good wet and dry grip. Although wet traction is good, don’t expect a track tire performance because it isn’t. Still, it is a great tire for those long trips in dry or wet condition including those weekend corner carving runs. They stick very well and are very smooth in the straights. So over-all, how was my ride? It was smooth, hassle free, and gave me confidence. Whether leaning at the Talisay twisties or riding comfortably into the sunset to wherever, the assured feedback and grip I get from this set of tires enable me to just eliminate negative thoughts about riding as the great performance ultimately gives me the much needed confidence to do what I love to do…and that is to ride.

null

null

null

null

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *